Saturday, April 26, 2008

Studs: Duds

Well, bummer. Turns out Surly makes a 10x1 cantilever stud *and* a 10x1.25 (which I actually had seen when I started looking online for them) and my frame/fork take the 10x1. In a previous post I mentioned that I found 4 of them at a local bike shop, and was excited to get them for a decent deal. However, when I tried to install them, this is all the further I got before I would really need to crank on them to make any more progress.

I wondered if I just needed to man up a bit and bring down my full manly wrenching abilities, but before I did that, I emailed Surly to get a green light. Good thing I did, the rep emailed back and basically said: "DON'T DO THAT. You most likely have the wrong size and will damage the threads if you force them." Whew....close call.

So, the rest of the bummer is that I had to order them online, pay $4 a piece, and $10 for stinking shipping. Almost $30 later, just to hang my brakes. And the brakes are another story entirely...but I'll save that for another post.

4 comments:

djdau@walnutel.net said...

I'm thinking about building a 29'er sometime in the future and while surfing around found your blog. I was curious about your frame fit...how tall are you and what's yor frame size I was looking at the Surly website and believe I can fit either a medium or large frame...I'm 6'1" with a 36" PBH (pubic bone height). It seems I'm right at the end of medium, and the beginning of large.

Looks like you have a nice build going there. I'm currently building up a Rivendell Rambouillet which is in the latter stages, just need a stem and I can finish up.

http://myrambouilletbuild.blogspot.com/

CMR said...

hey man... nice build blog! Finished pics?? I am in the process of hunting down a cheap KM frame to build up.

Ryan said...

Hey man, I would love to see some pics of the final product and how it went. THanks.

moeman said...

You can have my bosses if you want them. from my KM...