Thursday, April 24, 2008

Making Some Progress!

Another productive evening of building! Installed the Shimano UN54 bottom bracket into the KM, and it fit perfectly. The KM takes a 73xwhatever bb, and I went with a 73x110 for this build, figuring it was a fairly safe middle of the road size spindle. Then I yanked the FSA cranks and chain ring off the 925, and put them on the KM to see how they'd fit, and they worked out just fine.


The did need a tad bit of tweaking though. I'd heard that the chainstay on the KMs kept the chainring options limited because of how it bends out towards the cranks, and sure enough when I first tried to put on the crank and chainring, it wouldn't go as it bumped right up into the chainstay. Fortunately, I was able to flip out the ring to the outerside of the cranks and as you can see in the picture above, have plenty of room for the ring to move freely. Yahoo!

I then went to work on the rear wheel, which I can see from the photo below still needs to be cleaned...it's exactly how I got it from the seller, mud still on it, so that will need to be dealt with before final photos and maiden voyage.

I've really got a hodge podge of spacers on the rear hub to fit the single speed sprocket on there. As I mentioned, I got the lockring for free from the bike shop, but I needed to pick up a few more spacers to be able to lock everything into place. I've got some ugly grey ones from a torn apart cassette, a black one in there, and a couple of purchased silver metal spacers too. Ugly, but seems to fit nicely in there. I don't know that I'm entirely alligned behind the bike, but the chainline *seems* to look pretty good. I haven't done any actual measurements for an official ruling yet.

Here's a top down view of the whole assembly for the evening - UN54 bottom bracket, FSA cranks and chainring, SRAM chain, no-name (I think) rear sprocket, and mismatched spacers. Now I pretty much just need brakes and bar tape, and it'll be ready to ride!

No comments: