Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Couple of Great Moments This Week

First off, Surly proved themselves to be a great company this week when I found myself with a question about some apparent missing parts needed to secure the cantilever brakes to the frame and fork.

These cantilever studs come on the frame when you buy it new, but since I got mine used, they were long gone, so I emailed Surly to find out what I needed. Not only did they respond back within a day, they also mentioned they would just send me some if they had some sitting around in the parts bin, and also poked out here to look at the build in progress and made a few comments about the bike. Cool!

Now, thanks to John from Surly, I knew I needed 10X1 cantilever studs, and set out to find some. I poked around the internet and found some at different dealers, made to fit the Karate Monkey, but all ranging from $4 to 10 each! Ouch....as much as $40 JUST to be able to mount brakes on the bike...oh momma!

On a whim, I popped into a bike shop downtown while I was checking on a cell phone next door and lo and behold, the guys at Santiam Bicycle not only had 4 of them sitting in a parts bin, but sold them to me for $4....total! Sweet! I am still a Cycleworks lover for sure, but it was great to have that kind of luck at another bike shop too. Score another one for the local guys!

Back to the build!

No comments: